Week One Devotion
Romans 15:13 (NIV)
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Pray: Lord, You have promised to meet those who seek Your face. Come now and reveal Your presence to me as I make myself present to You. Help me to trust that Your ways and thoughts are higher than mine, and that You are for me, never against me. May I then experience the sweetness of perfect joy as the natural outcome of a life lived in trust to You. In the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord, Amen.
Hope gives us something to look forward to. In believing that good is to come, or that it has already come (Jesus is His name), we are filled with delightful expectation. We can stand knowing that our faithful God has not forsaken us and trust He knows what He is doing. When we lack hope, life gets heavy and tensions rise. The burdens of life become too much to carry, and joy and peace are nowhere to be found.
Romans 15 gives such an encouraging word! It reminds us that God is doing the work. He is the one who fills us! Our part is to believe and trust His word to be true. We can speak out life giving words like “I believe!” or “I trust you!” (Proverbs 18:21). With those proclamations, He fills us with hope as our memory verse says. The heaviness shifts, we no longer carry the burdens alone. God cares. He knows your heart, your desires, and your fears. Allow Him access to these places. He is faithful to reveal Himself and calm all your fears (Zephaniah 3:17).
When I was a single mom, I used to carry scripture verses around with me. This verse in Romans was one of those. I believed just enough to trust in the power of the Word and hoped in Him. Many years have passed since then, and I see now how God has never let me down. I fully believe He never will!
Questions for reflection (and sharing with someone else if possible):
- Is there a situation you currently face where you need more hope?
- What stops you from placing your trust in God?
- Share a time when you were not trusting God and a time when you trusted Him. It could be something financial, physical, or miraculous.
- How would trusting in God change your perspective and/or situation and give you hope?
- Do you believe He can and will do it?
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and shun evil.
8 This will bring health to your body
and nourishment to your bones.
Song suggestions: “You Are My All in All”; “Give Me Faith” Elevation; “The Way” Housefires
1. Pray and decide what you can give toward our 36 month goal.
2. Make your commitment by presenting this card at our 1st Fruits Offering October 3rd.
3. Weekly or monthly, mark your check, envelope or e-giving with the designation “Building Fund.” You can give securely at app.easytithe.com/app/giving/pillargiving
4. If possible, contribute as much as possible by October 3rd to help us meet our down payment goal.
Contributions of non-cash assets such as stock or property are also welcomed.